DeLand, Fla. - Sophomore Cooper Thompson tossed 4.2 scoreless innings in Sacred Heart's 11-4 win over Stetson Tuesday night at Melching Field in DeLand, Florida.
Thompson allowed one hit, walked two, and struck out six earning the win for the Pioneers. SHU's offense put the game away with a four-run sixth inning and finished the game with 16 hits. Junior Elijah Brown led the offense going 3-for-4 with a home run and five RBI. Junior Austin Markmann added two hits and three RBI for SHU.
Sacred Heart 11, Stetson 4
Records: SHU (3-6), Stetson (4-7)
Location: Melching Field (DeLand, Fla.)
How it Happened
- Billy O'Brien started for the Pioneers, striking out two and giving up three unearned runs in 2.1 innings.
- Thompson tossed 4.2 scoreless innings, striking out six in the process.
- Steven Thibault singled up the middle, stole second, and scored on a two-out single to left center by Isiah Baubon in the top of the first inning.
- The Pioneers added two unearned runs in the second.
- Justin Jordan grounded out, allowing Dan Fallacaro to score, trailed by Brown scoring on a wild pitch.
- Brown had a two-run single to right field, making the score 5-0 at the bottom of the third.
- Stetson answered back with three unearned runs to cut the lead to 5-3.
- The Pioneers added a run in the fourth inning, followed by four in the sixth inning.
- With runners on second and third, Markamnn hit a two-run single to left field.
- With Baubon and Markmann in scoring position, Brown swatted a two-run triple adding to SHU's 10-3 lead.
- Brown started off the top of the ninth with a homer to right field.
- SHU outhit Stetson 16-4
- Thompson allowed one hit, walked two, and struck out six
- Thibault, Jake Fresca, Baubon, and Brown each posted three hits
- Brown went 3-for-4 with a homer and five RBI
- Markmann had two hits, three RBI, and a run scored
- Brown fell a double short of completing the cycle
The Pioneers are back in action on Wednesday, when SHU takes on Stetson on the road at 6:30pm.