NEW HAVEN, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men' Ice Hockey team fell to Yale tonight by a final score of 3-1. The Pioneers will return to action on Tuesday January 14 when SHU hosts AIC. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m. at Webster Bank Arena.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Bulldogs in the first period 10-9 while SHU would be able to score the only goal of the period.
- Sophomore Jordan Kaplan would receive the puck from fellow sophomore Marc Johnstone and Kaplan would fire a shot passed the netminder to give the Pioneers an early 1-0 lead at 15:23.
- The Pioneer defense held strong as freshman goalie Josh Benson would tally nine saves in the opening period to hold the Bulldogs scoreless in the first.
- In the second period, SHU would once again outshoot the Bulldogs this time 14-13 to tally 24 total for the game.
- Yale would tally two goals in the period the first coming at 7:27 off the stick of Andrew Gaus to tie the game up at 1-1.
- The second Bulldog goal game at 10:02 off the stick of Justin Pearson which was assisted by two players (Mitchell Smith and Chandler Lindstrand) to put Yale ahead 2-1.
- Neither team would be able to score in the third period until the final minute of the period when leading goal scorer Joe Snively would net the games third goal of the game to make the eventual score 3-1.
- The Pioneers would be held to just six shots while Yale tallied 12.