BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team defeated Air Force by a final score of 3-1 this afternoon. With the win the Pioneers picked up their sixth Atlantic Hockey victory of the season. Sophomore Jordan Kaplan tallied two goals for the Pioneers in the victory. SHU will return to action tomorrow as the Pioneers look for the weekend sweep of the Falcons at 4:05 p.m. as the game will be played as scheduled at Ingalls Rink on the campus of Yale University.
- The Pioneers would be the only team to score in the period as at 10:56 in the first period Jordan Kaplan would fire off a shot passed the Air Force goalie to give the Pioneers a 1-0 lead.
- Assists would be credited to senior Liam Clare and freshman Austin Magera.
- The Pioneers outshot the Falcons 9-8 in the opening period as both sides played tight defense to keep the shots to a minimum the entire period.
- While the amount of shots taken in the second period increased, the number of goals was halted to zero in the second period as the Pioneers outshoot Air Force 13-7 in the second period but strong defense by both sides would limit the chances at goals.
- At 12:52 in the second Air Force had a chance to tie the game up at 1-1 as Walker Sommer pulled away from the SHU defense and had a clear shot on goal but freshman netminder Josh Benson would slap the puck away from Sommer to keep the Pioneers ahead 1-0 heading into the third and final period.
- Air Force would start the third period with a goal to tie up the game at 1-1 at 3:24 in the final period. The goal would be credited to Kieran Durgan off an assist by Joe Tyran.
- But the Pioneers would refuse overtime as freshman Austin Magera would answer back at 7:32 off a pair of assists by Matt Tugnutt and Liam Clare to give the Pioneers a 2-1 lead.
- The final blow to Air Force came in the final minutes of the game as Kaplan would tally his second goal of the game this time coming at 18:32 on an empty net goal to give the Pioneers the 3-1 victory.