MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team defeated Robert Morris for just the second time in program history tonight as SHU tallied six goals in the 6-2 victory over the Colonials. The Pioneers will look for the weekend sweep tomorrow as SHU faces off with Robert Morris tomorrow afternoon for a 4:05 p.m. puck-drop.
- The Pioneers and Colonials would tie each other in shots as both sides tallied 17 each.
- SHU would score early as the Pioneers would tally two goals just six minutes into the first period.
- The opening goal would come off the stick of junior Vito Bavaro off a pair of assists by freshman duo Nick Boyagian and Ryan Steele to put the Pioneers up 1-0 at 2:28 in the opening period.
- The second goal would come at 5:35 in the period as Bavaro would score his second goal of the game to put the Pioneers ahead 2-0 off assists by the same freshman duo to account for Bavaro's seventh goal of the season.
- Robert Morris would tally one goal in the first period to make the score 2-1 heading into the second.
- The Colonials would outshoot the Pioneers in the second period as SHU took 15 shots with eight on goal while Robert Morris took 21 shots with nine on goal.
- Robert Morris would tie the game up at 2-2 at the 11:10 mark in the period off a goal by Aiden Spellacy to kick off the scoring in the period.
- But the Pioneers would answer right back with a goal scored by sophomore Matt Tugnutt, his second straight game with a goal at 15:01 off assists by junior Austin Mcllmurray and senior Mike Lee to put the Pioneers ahead 3-2.
- The third period would be all about the Pioneers as SHU would tally three goals in the period.
- The first goal would come off the stick of freshman Nick Boyagian while SHU was on the power-play at 7:05 in the period. Assists were credited to Mike Lee and Liam Clare. That goal would be Boyagian's fourth of the year.
- Then just two minutes later, Mcllmurray would switch from giving assists to netting goals as he fired a shot passed the netminder at 9:16 in the period giving him five on the year to put the Pioneers ahead 5-2.
- The final goal and closer for the Pioneers would come off the stick of Mcllmurray again this time at 11:34 off assists by Matt Tugnutt and redshirt junior Jason Cotton to make the final score 6-2 in favor of the Pioneers.