WORCESTER, Ma.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team took the second game of the two-game home-and-home series against Holy Cross tonight as the Pioneers walked out of the Hart Center with a 4-2 victory. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday, Nov. 15 when SHU travels to Rochester, N.Y. to take on RIT. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers dominated the first half firing off 13 shots on goal while holding Holy Cross to just eight in the period.
- Both sides were 0-1 on power-play opportunities.
- SHU was the lone team to score in the period as senior Austin McIlmurray kicked off the scoring for the Pioneers with a goal at 7:42 in the period off assists by junior Jordan Kaplan and sophomore Ryan Steele to put SHU ahead 1-0.
- Then in the final two minutes of the period, senior Jason Cotton nailed his sixth goal of the year at 17:29 to put the Pioneers ahead 2-0 heading into the following period.
- The Pioneers continued to thrive in the second period as the defense of SHU held Holy Cross to just six shots on goal in the period while the Pioneers fired off 10.
- SHU and Holy Cross went back and forth on the defensive front not allowing a single goal in the period until the final minute.
- Then at 19:20 in the period, McIlmurray fired off his fifth power-play goal of the year and goal second of the game to put the Pioneers ahead 3-0 heading into the third period. Assists were credited to senior Mike Lee and first-year Braeden Tuck.
- SHU went 1-1 on the power-play while holding the Crusaders to going 0-1 on the man advantage.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson continued his impressive play recording six saves on six shots faced in the period.
- Holy Cross heightened the attack in the third period as they outshot the Pioneers 15-3 in the period.
- No team was able to score in the period until the final five minutes. Then senior Vito Bavaro nailed his sixth goal of the season 15:28 into the period off a pair of assists by sophomore Austin Magera and junior Marc Johnstone to put the Pioneers ahead 4-0.
- While the game looked in the bag for the Pioneers, Holy Cross attempted a comeback as less the twenty seconds later Bobby Brown scored the Crusaders first goal of the game off an assist by Patrick O'Leary to tighten the SHU lead to 4-1.
- Then just two minutes later Holy Cross found the back of the net again off a goal by Neil Robinson off assists by Logan Ferguson and Will Brophy 17:12 into the final period to cut the SHU lead to 4-2.
- But the Pioneer defense held strong not allowing another goal by the Crusaders in the game walking away with the 4-2 victory and a split in the two-game series.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson tallied 27 saves on 29 shots faced.
- SHU went 1-2 on the power-play while holding Holy Cross to going 0-2.
- Senior Austin McIlmurray tallied three points on the night with two goals and one assist to lead the Pioneers to a 4-2 victory.
- SHU improves to 4-5-1 overall and 4-3-0 in Atlantic Hockey play.