WORCESTER, Mass.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team defeated Holy Cross tonight by a final score of 4-1 to split the home-and-home set. The Pioneers will return to action on Tuesday Nov. 26 when SHU travels to take on Boston University. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers had a dominate first period as they outshot the Crusaders 13-9 in the period.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson tallied nine saves in the period on nine shots faced.
- Holy Cross had the lone power-play opportunity at 13:42 but the SHU defense held strong preventing the Crusaders from scoring.
- A little more than midway through the opening period, junior Marcus Joseph rocketed a slap-shot passed the netminder Radomsky for his first-career goal at 10:21 to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0. Assists were credited to junior Marc Johnstone and sophomore Austin Magera.
- SHU continued its strong play as they fired off nine shots on goal in the period.
- Holy Cross came out firing as well as the Crusaders took 10 shots on goal including the game tying goal by Conner Jean 2:26 into the period off assists by Grayson Constable and Patrick O'Leary to make the score 1-1.
- Three minutes later junior Matt Tugnutt nailed his first goal of the game while the team was short-handed 5:12 into the period off an assist by senior Mike Lee for his 12th of the year to put the Pioneers ahead 2-1.
- Then while on the power-play senior Austin McIlmurray fired off his ninth goal of the year and seventh power-play goal of the year 7:00 into the second period off assists by Mike Lee and Braeden Tuck to increase the SHU lead to 3-1.
- SHU outshot the Crusaders 10-4 in the final period.
- Neither side had success on the power-play in the third period as SHU went 0-2 while Holy Cross went 0-1.
- Then midway through the final period, Tugnutt came in the clutch again with his second goal of the game at 10:20 off an assist by Tuck to give SHU the 4-1 victory.
- SHU went 1-3 on power-play chances in the game.
- Junior Matt Tugnutt tallied two goals in the game to up his season total to eight.
- Senior Mike Lee had a pair of assists in the game to rocket his season total to 13 which is two short of a career high.
- Junior Marcus Joseph tallied his first career goal in the first period.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson picked up his seventh win of the year tallying 22 saves on 23 shots faced.
- SHU improves to 7-6-1 overall and 7-4-1 in Atlantic Hockey play.