BOSTON, Mass.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team (8-6-1 overall, 7-4-0 Atlantic Hockey) shutout Boston University (4-5-5 overall, 3-3-4 Hockey East) tonight by a final score of 4-0. The win marks the first time the Pioneers have defeated the Terriers in program history. SHU returns to action on Tuesday, Dec. 3 when the Pioneers travel to face AIC. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- The Terriers outshot the Pioneers in the opening period both reaching double digits 19-12.
- Neither side scored in the first half of the period as sophomore goalie Josh Benson recorded 19 saves in the period on 19 shots faced.
- Then 10:10 in the period, while on the SHU power-play senior Austin McIlmurray fired the puck through the five-hole of the goalie off a pair of assists by junior Marc Johnstone and senior Mike Lee to put SHU ahead 1-0.
- Overall in the period the Pioneers held Boston University on the power-play as SHU kept the Terriers 0-2 on the man advantage.
- The Pioneers were edged by the Terriers in shots in the second period 9-8.
- Neither team was able to find the back of the net as both sides held each other to single digit shots in the period.
- Both teams went 0-1 on the power-play in the period.
- Benson remained strong at net allowing not goals in the period on nine shots faced.
- The goals flooded in the third period for the Pioneers as SHU outshot the Terriers 16-8.
- Just before midway of the period 9:40 in, senior Jason Cotton fired off his tenth goal of the year off a pair of assists by Lee and junior Alex Bates to put the Pioneers ahead 2-0.
- Then a little over a minute later sophomore Ryan Steele cashed in his second goal of the season at 10:50 in the period off assists by Johnstone and senior Max Luukko to push the Pioneers ahead 3-0.
- The goals halted for the next nine minutes as tight defense by the Pioneers limited the Terriers to few opportunities as the Terriers had no chances in the period to go on the power-play.
- In the closing seconds of the period, while the Pioneers were on the power-play senior Vito Bavaro hammered the final nail in the coffin to the Terriers as he netted his eighth goal of the year at 19:48 off assists by Marc Johnstone and Ryan Steele to seal the 4-0 shutout of Boston University.
- This is the first time in program history the Pioneers have defeated Boston University.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson recorded his second shutout of the season racking up 36 saves on 36 shots faced.
- Junior captain Marc Johnstone recorded three assists on the night for three points to up his total assist total on the year to 12.
- Sophomore Ryan Steele tallied his second goal of the year along with two assists to tally his total to seven assists this season.
- The Pioneers improve to 8-6-1 overall on the year with the win.