BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team tallied the team's third shutout of the season tonight as the Pioneers defeated Robert Morris by a final score of 6-0. SHU looks for the two-game sweep tomorrow afternoon as the team hosts the Colonials at Ingalls Rink in New Haven, CT at 4:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers outshot the Colonials 14-11 in the opening period.
- SHU got on the board early has just 1:34 into the first period junior Jordan Kaplan fired off his fifth goal of the year off an assist by fellow junior Michael Gilroy to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0.
- Both sides were unsuccessful on the power-play as SHU went 0-2 while Robert Morris went 0-1.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson recorded 11 saves in the first period on 11 shots faced.
- The goals flooded in the second period for SHU as junior Matt Tugnutt nailed his career high 10th goal of the year while the Pioneers were on the power-play 6:57 into the period to put SHU ahead 2-0. Assists were credited to seniors Mike Lee and Austin McIlmurray.
- Then less than two minutes later, first-year Patrick Dawson would score his first collegiate goal at 8:45 on the SHU power-play off an assist by junior Evan Wisocky to put SHU ahead 3-0.
- In the closing minutes of the period at 18:58 McIlmurray scored a wrap-around goal off assists by Jordan Kaplan and Patrick Dawson to send SHU into the third period with a 4-0 lead.
- SHU came into the third period hot as first-year Braeden Tuck found the back of the net at 2:17 into the period off assists by sophomore Ryan Steele and senior Mike Lee to give the Pioneers a 5-0 lead while the team was short-handed.
- The final nail on the coffin to Robert Morris came in the closing minutes of the game at 19:32 into the period, McIlmurray tallied his second goal of game to give SHU the resounding 6-0 shutout.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson recorded 32 saves on 32 shots faced and recorded his third shutout of the season.
- Senior Austin McIlmurray had an impressive three point day with two goals and one assist.
- Senior Mike Lee tallied a hatrick in assists with three on the day.
- SHU improves to 10-6-1 overall and 9-4-0 in Atlantic Hockey play placing the Pioneers tied for first place in the league standings.
- The win marks the fourth straight win the Pioneers have tallied this season.