BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team had its six game win streak snapped this afternoon as the Pioneers fell to Bentley by a final score of 3-2. SHU returns to action in the new year on Friday, January 10 when the team travels to face Mercyhurst. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers were outshot by Bentley in the opening period as the Falcons took eight shots on goal while SHU tallied seven.
- Bentley got on the board first with a goal coming late in the period 14:41 in off the stick of Jakov Novak off an assist by Marcus Walter to put Bentley ahead 1-0.
- Less than three minutes later the Pioneer offense awoke with a power-play goal by sophomore Austin Magera 17:04 into the period to even the score at 1-1.
- Both defenses were strong as a total of seven blocked shots were recorded in the period as each team was limited to attempts on goal.
- Both defenses kept holding each team down as the same shots on goal were attempted in the period as SHU was held to seven while Bentley tallied eight on goal.
- The Falcons broke the 1-1 tie late in the period as Novak scored his second goal of the game off a feed from Luke Santerno with 19 seconds remaining in the period to put Bentley ahead 2-1 heading into the third period.
- A total of nine blocked shots were taken in the period once again proving the tight defensive play of both sides.
- The Pioneers outshot the Falcons 14 to four in the period.
- It would be Bentley that struck first in the period as an unassisted goal by Matt Riggleman 5:28 into the period gave the Falcons a 3-1 lead.
- SHU attempted the comeback as Magera nailed his second goal of the game off a pair of assists by senior Mike Lee and junior captain Marc Johnstone to cut the Bentley lead to 3-2.
- But the Falcons defense held strong even with the five power-play chances the Pioneers had in the period as they were unable to score on any of the man-advantage opportunities resulting in a 3-2 loss.