Big Finish Pushes Pioneers Past UConn, 6-4

Big Finish Pushes Pioneers Past UConn, 6-4

Feb. 8, 2008

Final Stats

Storrs, CT - Junior Bear Trapp (Balcarres, SK) tallied two goals early in the game and Sacred Heart scored three goals in the final five minutes of regulation to post a come-from-behind 6-4 victory over UConn in Atlantic Hockey action Friday night at the Freitas Ice Forum.

In a game that turned into a roller-coaster of momentum shifts, the Huskies got on the board first, on a powerplay goal by Steve Bergin 2:10 into the game. Sophomore Erik Boisvert (Drummondville, QC) tied the game with 1:21 left in the first off a feed from senior Alexandre Parent (Boisbriand, QC).

UConn scored two goals early in the second period to take a 3-1 lead. Frederic Jean scored his first career goal at the 2:58 mark. Chris Spicer found Jean in the slot with a centering pass from behind the net and Jean blasted a one-timer past SHU goaltender Stefan Drew (Oakbank, MB) to give the Huskies the lead. Justin Hernandez gave the Huskies a two goal lead at the 7:43 mark when he put home a rebound following a shot by Michael Olmstead.

Trapp went to work late in the second period and got the Pioneers even after two. First, with 3:43 left Trapp converted off a pass from sophomore Nick Johnson (Windsor, CT). Then with SHU on the power play and 1:23 remaining, Trapp took a pass from Parent and tied the score with his team leading 10th goal of the season.

Jeff Sapieha broke the tie at the 5:28 mark of the third period. Jean it Sapieha with a centering pass from behind the net between the two face-off circles. Sapieha then shot the puck low and to the right of Drew to give UConn the 4-3 lead. The Huskies' lead held for 10 minutes until Dave Grimson (Mozart, SK) scored the equalizer on a rebound off a shot by Paul Ferraro (Pleasantville, NY) at the 14:59 mark.

Just 37 seconds after Grimson scored Gregg Rodriguez (Sunnyvale, CA) sent a clearing pass into the Husky zone off of a face-off. The puck hit goalie Beau Erickson's shoulder and took a funny bounce off the post and into the net for what turned out to be the game-winning goal. The tally was Rodriguez's first collegiate goal.

The Pioneers final goal came with 2:20 left. Johnson fired a shot that hit Erickson's knee causing him to go down. Sophomore Matt Gordon (Lynnfield, MA) swooped in and fired the puck into the open net.

For the game the Pioneers out shot the Huskies 33-30. Erickson made 27 saves while Drew stopped 26 shots to earn the victory for the Pioneers.

Parent's two assists gave him 81 for his career, moving him into second place in school history. The two helpers gave him 125 career points, tying him for fourth in school history.

Sacred Heart and UConn will close out their series Saturday night at the Milford Ice Pavilion. Face-off is set for 7:05 pm.

Army Shoots Past SHU, 6-1
February 29, 2008 Army Shoots Past SHU, 6-1
Pioneers Fall to RIT, 4-2
January 18, 2008 Pioneers Fall to RIT, 4-2
SHU Heads West For Denver Cup
December 26, 2007 SHU Heads West For Denver Cup
Army Tops SHU, 4-2
November 30, 2007 Army Tops SHU, 4-2
SHU Holds Off UConn, 4-2
November 2, 2007 SHU Holds Off UConn, 4-2