The Sacred Heart University men's soccer team dropped a 3-0 decision to visiting non-conference foe Siena College, Saturday afternoon on Park Avenue Field.
Neither team tallied a goal in the opening half, but Siena broke through 63 seconds into the second-half. Winston Bennett made three saves to earn the clean sheet for the Saints.
SHU returns to action on Friday, September 27 when it hosts Merrimack in its Northeast Conference season opener. Game time is set for 3:00 pm on Park Avenue Field.
- Samuel Schwarz scored the game-winner 1:03 into the second half, as he collected a loose ball out of a scramble in front of the Pioneer goal and knocked it home
- The Saints second goal came from the head of Conor McGlynn, from a Gylfi Gestsson corner kick
- The final tally came at 77:21 as Alejandro Riquelme put a ball to the foot of Birgir Thorsteinsson on the near side and he went low to the back of the net
By The Numbers
- Robert Strain made nine saves, as well as two deflections on dangerous crosses, in the effort for SHU
- The Pioneers were outshot 20-14 on the afternoon
- Both teams earned five corner kicks in the game
- SHU was whistled for only two fouls in the match
- The Saints were whistled offsides four times