FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Soccer team fell to Merrimack this afternoon in the team's Northeast Conference opener by a final score of 2-0. The Pioneers will return to action on Sunday, Sept. 29 when they travel to face Bryant. Kick-off is set for 1:00 p.m.
Merrimack would be able to tally a goal in both halves of the game as a goal by Henry Osei at 35:13 would put the Warriors ahead 1-0. Meanwhile the Pioneers were held to just one shot in the entire first half while Merrimack tallied 10.
In the second half the Pioneers would become more aggressive as they would record eight shots in the half with three on goal but the Warriors would be the team to score in the half as Sebastian Toro would find the open hole to score and to give the Warriors to 2-0 victory.
- Henry Osei at 35:13 would put Merrimack ahead 1-0 off an open shot from a solid assist by Mirko Nufi.
- The Warriors second goal came from the right foot of Sebastian Toro, from a Diego Torrealba pass.
By The Numbers
- Josh Inkel made nine saves on the 11 shots on goal faced in the effort for SHU.
- The Pioneers were outshot 17-9 on the afternoon.
- Both teams earned five corner kicks in the game.
- SHU was whistled for only six fouls in the match.
- The Saints were whistled offsides three times.