STONY BROOK, N.Y. – The Sacred Heart men's cross country team opened up the 2018 season on Saturday morning with a fourth place finish at the Stony Brook Season Opener. The six kilometer meet, hosted by Stony Brook, also featured Fordham, Quinnipiac, St. Francis Brooklyn and Hunter College.
The host Seawolves won the meet with 25 points. Quinnipiac followed with (52), Fordham placed third with 60 points, followed by Sacred Heart with 112. Saint Francis Brooklyn (133) took fifth and Hunter finished sixth (176).
- The Pioneers were led by senior Dane Krchnavy, who crossed the finish line 15th overall in 19:21.1.
- Sophomores Shilleh Moetiz (20:04.7) and Christopher Gillis (20:05.5) placed 23rd and 24th, respectively.
- First-year Corey Picard made his collegiate debut with a time of 20:27.3. Senior Jake Tavernite rounded out the team's top five in 20:54.2.
- Junior Gavin Thurlow (21:00.2) and sophomore Ryan Corbett (21:14.9) rounded out the team's top seven.
- Joshua Haddity finished with a time of 21:28.8, Scott Curtis finished in 21:32.8 and Sean Murray finished the race in 21:33.6.
The Pioneers will race next this Saturday at the Nassaney Invitational, hosted by Bryant in Smithfield, R.I. Start time is scheduled for 10:15 a.m.