LOUDONVILLE, N.Y. – Trailing by 27 points entering the fourth quarter, the Sacred Heart women's basketball team mounted a comeback bid that fell short as the Pioneers ultimately fell to the Saints, 68-57, from the Alumni Recreation Center on Saturday night. The loss brings SHU to 1-2 on the season while Siena's first win moves them to 1-3 in 2019.
Adrianne Hagood pumped in 23 points on 8-for-11 shooting and 3-of-5 from three while adding five rebounds in her 39 minutes of action. Hagood's third career 20+ point night puts her in double figures for the second time in two appearances this season. Jessica Woods added 15 points (6-12 FG), nine rebounds and two blocks as the duo were the lone Pioneers to hit double figures in scoring on the evening.
Turnovers and free throw shooting proved costly as the Pioneers totaled 27 turnovers on the night while going 13-for-24 (54.2 percent) at the charity stripe. Those 27 turnovers for SHU turned into 30 points for the Saints while the free throw shooting is a stark contrast to the first two games of the season as SHU came in shooting 26-for-36 (72.2 percent) combined at the line.
1st Quarter (19-12 Siena)
- A difficult start to the game for SHU saw Siena score the first 11 points of the game as the Pioneers didn't get on the scoreboard until a Hagood layup with 4:02 remaining in the frame
- Trailing 13-2, SHU put together a productive stretch on offense as the Pioneers rode an 8-0 run to cut the gap to just three points as Hagood continued her strong start, either scoring or assisting on six of the eight points in the run
- Siena scored in bunches in closing minute of the quarter including a Haley Blasetti jumper that just beat the buzzer to make it 19-12 Saints after one
2nd Quarter (41-22 Siena)
- The Saints took complete control of the game in the second as Siena shot 57.1 percent (8-for-14) in the quarter while holding SHU to just 25 percent (4-for-16)
- Hagood and Sonia Smith each hit a three-pointer in the quarter for SHU but another extended scoring draught that saw the Pioneers go 4:54 minutes between buckets opened the door for Siena seize the 19-point halftime advantage
3rd Quarter (60-33 Siena)
- Hagood continued to be the only reliable source of offense for the Pioneers as she scored seven of the 11 total points for SHU in the frame
- While the Pioneers appeared to be getting out of their shooting slump, going 5-for-12 (41.7 percent) in the quarter, SHU went 0-for-5 at the free throw line and committed nine turnovers while Siena went 9-of-12 at the free throw line to own a commanding 27-point lead
4th Quarter (68-57 Siena)
- The SHU comeback bid was an impressive one as the Pioneers outscored the Saints 24-8 in the fourth quarter alone
- The Saints shot just 4-for-18 (22.2 percent) from the floor and didn't make a free throw in the fourth while SHU owned a +9 rebounding advantage and shot 8-for-14 (57.1 percent) from the floor
- Woods scored nine of her 15 points in the fourth quarter alone while six different Pioneers scored in the frame
- It was a 12-0 SHU run that opened the quarter as the Pioneers didn't allow Siena to score until there was just 4:02 remaining and the lead was cut to 15 in that stretch
- The damage had been done, however, as the closest SHU would get to the lead would be 10 points in the closing minutes as Siena's dominance in the first three quarters proved too much to overcome
The Pioneers are back at the Pitt Center on Wednesday, Nov. 20 when SHU hosts crosstown foe Bridgeport at 11:00 AM. The game can be seen live and for free on NEC Front Row.