FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Sacred Heart Pioneers women's bowling team was ranked No. 11 in the nation by the National Tenpin Coaches Association in the 2018-19 Preseason Poll as announced by the association this week.
The Pioneers open the season ranked 11th after concluding the season at No. 12. Two‐time National Champion, Vanderbilt University, enters the 2019‐20 season ranked No.1, followed by McKendree University at two and defending champions Stephen F. Austin come in at No. 3.
SHU is one of six NEC teams ranked in the top 25, as Fairleigh Dickinson was tabbed ninth. St. Francis (Pa.) followed behind Sacred Heart at 16, Duquesne was ranked at 20th, Mount St. Mary's at 21st and LIU rounded out the NEC in 24th.
Sacred Heart opens the season on Saturday, Oct. 19, when the Pioneers host the SHU Bowl for the Cure in East Haven, Conn.
NTCA Preseason Poll
1. Vanderbilt University
2. McKendree University
3. Stephen F. Austin State University
4. University of Nebraska
5. Sam Houston State University
6. Arkansas State University
7. University of Maryland Eastern Shore
8. North Carolina A&T
9. Fairleigh Dickinson University
10. University of Wisconsin
11. Sacred Heart University
12. University of Central Missouri
13. Lincoln Memorial University
14. Tulane University, New Orleans
15. Delaware State University
16. St. Francis University
17. Louisiana Tech University
18. Maryville University
19. University of Alabama Birmingham
20. Duquesne University
21. Mount Saint Mary's University
22. Adelphi University, Garden City
23. Youngstown State
24. LIU Brooklyn
25. Monmouth University