The Sacred Heart University field hockey team defeated visiting Northeast Conference foe Bryant College, 4-1, Friday evening at Johnson Field. The Pioneers improve to 3-11 on the year and 2-1 in league play, while the Bulldogs fall to 2-13 overall and 1-3 in conference action.
SHU scored four unanswered goals after giving up a first quarter tally.
The Pioneers return to action on Sunday when they host Lehigh at Johnson Field. The non-conference contest is set to begin at 1:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers scored twice in 55 seconds in the third quarter, to open a three-goal lead
By The Numbers
- Six Pioneers tallied points in the game, with Kelsy Hopkins (1G, 1A), Marlena Koellner (1G, 1A) and Bridget Kelly (2A) each having multiple points
- The Pioneers finished with a 15-11 edge in shots
- Aisling Madden crossed a ball from the near post across the crease to the stick of Ally Burdick, who sent the ball back the opposite way and into the net, to give the Bulldogs the first goal of the game
- SHU controlled play for the early portions of the quarter, finishing with a 5-2 edge in shots
- Marijn Jaarsma made a pair of saves for the Bulldogs
- Koellner tallied the equalizer, tipping a cross from Bridget Kelly at 24:22
- Kelly started the second goal as well, putting a penalty corner to Koellner, who stopped the ball from Hopkins who put the Pioneers in front, 2-1
- Both teams had three shots in the period
- A breakaway saw Hopkins feed Makenna Crawford and she beat the keeper low stick side for a 3-1 lead
- Bridget LaRiccia fed the ball down the center, 55 seconds later, and to Colleen McAninley, who drove the ball into the net, low to the stick side
- Hailey Power kept the margin at three, with a save of a penalty stroke 2:01 into the final period