MANCHESTER, N.H.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team fell to Saint Anselm this afternoon by a final score of 5-2 this afternoon. The Pioneers will look to split the two game NEWHA Conference matchup tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.
- Six out the seven goals tallied in the game would be scored just in the first period as the Hawks would tally all five of their goals in the first period while SHU tallied one.
- Both teams took shots in the double digits as SHU tallied 10 while Saint Anselm tallied 11.
- A goal by Megan Klaus in at 2:36 in the opening period would put the Hawks up 1-0.
- Two more goals would be scored by Saint Anselm first again by Kalus at 5:28 and the second by Mary Lambert at 7:38 to put the Hawks up 3-0.
- The Pioneers would then tighten the Saint Anselm lead at 9:40 in the period off a power-play goal by freshman Anna Klein to put SHU on the board and to make the score 3-1. An assist would credited to freshman Kelly Solak her 12th of the year.
- The Hawks would tack on two more goals in the period to make the score 5-1 heading into the second.
- Both sides would not be able to tally a goal in the second period keeping the score 5-1 going into the third period.
- While no goals were scored in the second period, both sides would attempt multiple shots on goal as SHU attempted 15 while Saint Anselm took 14 shots.
- Both goalies would hold strong as freshman netminder Frankie Sanchez would tally 14 saves to keep the score 5-1 heading into the third period.
- SHU would get aggressive in the final period to as the team would fire off 10 shots on goal to attempt a comeback in the game.
- The Pioneers would be able to slip a goal by the Saint Anselm goalie at 3:35 in the period courtesy of senior Haley Payne off assists by junior Victoria Grimmer and freshman Nicole Guidi to cut the lead to 5-2.
- But that would be all the goals the Pioneers would be able to get as SHU would fall 5-2 to Saint Anselm.