SHELTON, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team dropped its season opener this afternoon to Maine by a final score of 4-0. The Pioneers will look to even the two-game set tomorrow afternoon when they host the Black Bears for a 1:00 p.m. puck-drop.
- Maine would tally double digit shots in the first recording 14 while holding SHU to just seven in the opening period.
- The Black Bears would score in the opening minutes of the game as a 1:09 in the period, Liga Miljone would fire a shot passed goalie Frankie Sanchez off an assist by Maddie Giordano to give the Black Bears a 1-0 lead.
- Then just a minute later at 2:03 in the period, Tereza Vanisova would slip a goal to give the Black Bears a 2-0 lead. Assists would be credited to Brittany Colton and Claire Jenkins-Coffman.
- The Pioneers would be outshot in the second period five to 17 in the period.
- The SHU defense would be able to hold the Maine offense though to just one power-play goal coming at 16:59 in the period off the stick of Liga Milione for her second of the game with an assist from Tereza Vanisova to give the Black Bears a 3-0 lead.
- SHU would play hard in the third period even being limited to just five shots on goal in the third, the Pioneers were able to allow just goal on 14 shots on goal in third.
- The Maine power-play goal would come at 4:44 in the period off the stick of Vanisova to give the Black Bears the 4-0 victory.