SHELTON, Conn. The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team had an impressive 8-2 win this afternoon over NEWHA rival Post. The Pioneers will look for the two game sweep tomorrow afternoon as SHU will host the Eagles at the Sports Center of Connecticut at 1:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers outshot the Eagles 18-5 in the period.
- SHU was able to jump on the board early as a goal by senior Victoria Grimmer just 6:04 into the period off an assist by sophomore Samantha Shoebottom put the Pioneers ahead 1-0.
- Tight defense by both sides held each other to finding the back of the net until five minutes remained in the period when a goal by Post off the stick of Jenna Abeyta 15:19 into the period to even the score at 1-1.
- The Pioneers dominated the second period as SHU outshot Post 32-11 in the period.
- SHU was the only team to score just 6:54 into the period as sophomore Kelly Solak passed her career high with her third goal of the season as she found the back of the net off assists by freshman Sophie Lupone and junior Juliana Lynch to give the Pioneers a 2-1 lead.
- Then seven minutes later a 13:02 into the second period senior Maddie Bishop fired off her fifth goal of the year off a pair of assists by sophomore Anna Klein and Solak to give the Pioneers a 3-1 lead heading into the third period.
- SHU continued its strong attack in the third period as the Pioneers outshot the Eagles 28-3 in the period.
- The Pioneers fired off five goals in the period coming off the sticks of sophomore Anna Klein (0:23), freshman Alexa Ocel (6:05), freshman Charlotte Huntington (9:05), senior Jayne Lewis (11:43) and sophomore Samantha Shoebottom at 17:51 into the period to give the Pioneers a 8-1 lead in the final minutes.
- Post added just one more goal in the period off the stick of Molly Brumfield to make the final score 8-2.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez tallied 12 saves on 14 shots faced in the game.
- Sophomore Anna Klein led the way for the Pioneers racking up three points with a goal and two assists.
- Sophomore Kennedy Spiering tallied three assists on the day for three points as well.
- In total, the Pioneers fired off 105 shots with 78 on goal.
- SHU went 2-5 on the power-play while holding Post to going 0-2 on the day.
- The Pioneers improve to 7-8-0 overall and 5-2-0 in NEWHA play.