SHELTON, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team completed the two-game sweep of Post this afternoon as the Pioneers defeated the Eagles by a final score of 7-1 to complete play for 2019. SHU will return in the new year when the Pioneers travel to face non-conference opponent RIT on Friday, January 3. Puck-drop is set for 2:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers continued the strong offensive attack from the day before as SHU fired off 17 shots on goal while holding Post to just three.
- But teams were unsuccessful on the power-play in the period as SHU went 0-2 while Post was 0-1.
- SHU was able to get on the board late in the first period off a goal by senior Victoria Grimmer marking her fourth of the year off an assist by sophomore Nicole Guidi at 8:18 into the first period to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0.
- The goals flooded the ice in the second period as five goals were scored in the period.
- SHU outshot the Eagles 17-4 in the period.
- The Pioneers took a 2-0 lead early in the period off a power-play goal courtesy of sophomore Kennedy Spiering at 3:54 off an assist by junior Jordan Sanislo.
- Less than a minute later, Post would respond with a goal by Natalie Simmons at 4:54 in the period to tighten the SHU lead to 2-1.
- SHU responded three minutes later as Grimmer nailed her second goal of the game this time while the Pioneers were shorthanded as she slipped the puck passed the netminder at 7:56 in the period to give SHU a 3-1 lead.
- The goals didn't stop there as sophomore Anna Klein fired off a pair of goals back to back in the closing minutes of the period first coming at 9:35 off assists by seniors Maddie Bishop and Jayne Lewis, then again at 19:54 off passes from sophomore Kennedy Spiering and senior Lewis to give the Pioneers a commanding 5-1 lead heading into the third period.
- The Pioneers outshot Post in the third period 28-3.
- SHU tacked on two more goals in the period the first which came off the stick of sophomore Cannady Taleghani at 2:25 in the period off an assist by junior Marissa Letizio to put the Pioneers ahead 6-1.
- The final blow to Post came in the closing minutes of the period off the stick of first-year Sophie Lupone at 12:25 as she cashed in her first collegiate goal. Assists were rewarded to senior Jayne Lewis and sophomore Anna Klein.
- All three goalies played for the Pioneers as sophomore Frankie Sanchez picked up her eighth win of the year recording six saves on seven shots faced.
- Senior Victoria Grimmer and sophomore Anna Klein each tallied two goals for the Pioneers in the victory.
- SHU improves to 8-8-0 on the year and 6-2-0 in NEWHA play.