BOILING SPRINGS, N.C.- The Sacred Heart University Softball team split day two of play at the Gardner-Webb Tournament today taking the first game over Oakland University by a final of 11-7 then falling to Loyola Chicago in the second game by a final score of 7-2. The Pioneers final game of the tournament tomorrow afternoon has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled. The team will return to action on Friday Mar. 1 when the Pioneers head to Virginia to take on Cleveland State at the Liberty University Tournament.
Sacred Heart University Pioneers (2-1, 0-0 NEC)
Oakland University Grizzles (1-2, 0-0 Horizon)
Game One (SHU 11, Oakland 7)
- The Pioneers would be the first team to jump on the score as a sacrifice fly be graduate student Fallon Bevino would score in senior Hailey Derosiers from third as she doubled in her at bat followed by a single by Stephanie Mangiameli to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0.
- After Oakland took a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the first, Derosiers would come in clutch again as she would single to right field scoring in Harvey from third as she advanced the bases after her lead-off single to begin the inning which tied the game up at 2-2.
- But the Golden Grizzles wouldn't go away as they tallied two runs in the bottom of the inning to take a 4-2 lead heading into the top of the third.
- In the third, the Pioneers put up four runs in to put them ahead 6-4 as freshman Brianna Santos would drive a three-run homerun to left field scoring sophomore Caroline Kruger and junior Jennie Boisvert.
- After Oakland tied the game up at 6-6 in the bottom of the inning senior Stephanie Mangiamelli would double to left center to kick off the top of the fourth inning for the Pioneers. Then sophomore Kylee Harvey would rip a double to left center scoring two to put the Pioneers ahead 8-6.
- The final three runs would all be scored in the top of the fifth inning as a triple by senior Lindsay Spitz would score in Amy Petrovich from second to put the Pioneers ahead 9-7.
- After an RBI groundout by Mangiamelli, Katelyn Christian would launch a two-run homer to left field to give the Pioneers the 11-7 victory.
Sacred Heart University Pioneers (2-2, 0-0 NEC)
Loyola Chicago Ramblers (8-0, 0-0 MVC)
Game Two (SHU 2, Loyola (IL) 7)
- Both sides would be able to tally a run in the first inning as in the bottom of the first an RBI sing by Katelyn Christian would score in Hailey Derosiers to tie the game up at 1-1.
- Neither team would be able to score in the second inning as pitchers on both sides would have dominate innings.
- But the third inning would be when Loyola got hot as they tallied three runs in the inning courtesy of a bases loaded double to left center to put the Ramblers ahead 4-1.
- A fielder's choice by Bevino would score the Pioneers second run of the game but that would not be enough as Loyola would put up three more runs in the game to push them ahead 7-2.