GREENSBORO, N.C.- The Sacred Heart University Softball team defeated Delaware 4-3 this morning courtesy of a walk-off single by freshman Alyssa Gonzalez to improve walk away from day two of the Spartan Classic with a victory. The Pioneers will conclude the tournament tomorrow when SHU faces off against Delaware again at 9:30 a.m. and Towson at 12:00 p.m.
- Sophomore Kylee Harvey would put the Pioneers ahead 1-0 in the bottom of the first inning as she scored in senior Hailey Desrosiers from third off a throwing error to score the opening run of the game.
- Desrosiers would then would to put the Pioneers even further ahead in the second inning as she would knock in a single up the middle scoring in first-year Alyssa Gonzalez to put SHU up 2-0.
- The Pioneers would score again in the bottom of the third inning as senior Stephanie Mangiameli would rip a single to right field scoring first-year Amy Petrovich from third to put the Pioneers ahead 3-0 heading into the fourth inning.
- In the top of the fourth inning Delaware would knock a pair of home runs to right and center field to tighten the score to 3-2.
- Then after a scoreless fifth inning, Delaware would knock another homer this time to left field to even the score at 3-3 heading into the seventh inning.
- But in the bottom of the seventh first-year Alyssa Gonzalez would come in clutch for the Pioneers as she fire a single to left center with the bases loaded scoring in sophomore Sarina Campos to give the Pioneers the 4-3 walk-off victory.
- Senior pitcher Emily Orosco would go six innings allowing just five hits and three runs as she struck out five batters.
- The Pioneers would easily outhit the Blue Hens 13 to six in the game.
- Five Pioneers would cash in two hits on the day.
- With the win the Pioneers improve to 6-7 on the year.