FAIRFAX, Va.- The Sacred Heart University Softball team concluded the Mason Invitational on a high note as the Pioneers defeated Cornell this morning by a final score of 7-4. SHU will return to action on Tuesday Mar. 19 when they Pioneers face off against Providence for a double-header. First-pitch is set for 2:30 p.m.
- Bottom of the 3rd- An RBI double by Allison Kerce would score in one to put Cornell ahead 1-0.
- Top of the 4th- Junior Jennie Boisvert would rip a single up the middle scoring in sophomore Sarina Campos to even the score at 1-1.
- Bottom of the 4th- Another RBI double courtesy of Miranda Lawson would put Cornell back in the lead 2-1.
- Top of the 5th- After junior Katelyn Christian walked, a wild pitch would score in senior Stephanie Mangiameli from third to tie the game up at 2-2.
- Bottom of the 5th- A RBI single by Bridgette Rooney would score in a run for Cornell to put them ahead 3-2 heading into the sixth inning.
- Top of the 6th- Mangiameli would reach first on a fielder's choice scoring in senior Addison Landry to tie the game up at 3-3.
- Top of the 6th- Christian would rip a double to right center scoring in two runs to put the Pioneers ahead 5-3.
- Bottom of the 6th- Olivia Rooney would reach on an error scoring in one to make the score 5-4.
- Top of the 7th- Senior Lindsey Spitz would launch a homerun to dead center scoring in two to make the final score 7-4 in favor of SHU.
- The Pioneers would outhit Cornell eight to six in the game.
- Senior Stephanie Mangiameli and junior Jennie Boisvert led the way in the batter's box for the Pioneers as both went 2-4 at the plate as Mangiameli scored two runs and Boisvert scored one.
- Katelyn Christian and Lindsey Spitz would lead the team in RBI's with two each.
- Sophomore Colleen Walsh would pick up the win for the Pioneers as she went two innings giving up one run on two hits.