FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Softball team split it's double-header this afternoon with Wagner as the Pioneers rallied a comeback in the first game winning 3-2 and fell in the second 5-4. The Pioneers will return to action on Tuesday, April 23 when SHU hosts Manhattan first-pitch is set for 3:00 p.m.
SHU 3, Wagner 2
- Top of the 6th inning- Wagner would be the first team to get on the board as an RBI single and sacrifice fly would score in two runs to put the Seahawks ahead 2-0.
- Bottom of the 6th inning- A double steal by seniors Hailey Desrosiers and Addison Landry would give the Pioneers the first run of the game to make the score 2-1 Wagner heading into the seventh inning.
- Bottom of the 7th inning- Desrosiers would come in the clutch for the Pioneers as she would rip a two run double to left center scoring in Caroline Kruger and Chole Weeks to give the Pioneers the walk-off and the victory 3-2.
- Starting with the outstanding pitching of senior Emily Orosco who went all seven innings giving up just two runs on three hits all which did not occur until the sixth inning as well as she struck out eight. With the win she improved to 7-4 on the season.
- At the plate it would be all about senior Hailey Desrosiers as she went 2-4 with a double and two RBI's to push the Pioneers to victory.
SHU 4, Wagner 5
- Top of the 1st inning- A two run double to left center by the Seahawks would put Wagner ahead 2-0.
- Bottom of the 1st inning- A single by first-year Amy Petrovich would score in graduate student Fallon Bevino and senior Stephanie Mangiameli to tighten the Wagner lead to 2-1.
- Bottom of the 1st inning- A throwing error by the pitcher would later score in Bevino to even the score at 2-2.
- Top of the 4th inning- An RBI single to right field by the Seahawks would give Wagner back the lead 3-2.
- Top of the 5th inning- Wagner would increase the lead off a solo homer to left field to put the Seahawks ahead 4-2.
- Bottom of the 5th inning- Junior Katelyn Christian would rip a single to right field scoring in Hailey Desrosiers to tighten the Wagner lead to 4-3.
- Top of the 7th inning- An RBI single to second by Wagner would put the Seahawks ahead 5-3.
- Bottom of the 7th inning- The Pioneers would attempt a comeback as Bevino would fire off a single to center field scoring in Desrosiers to tighten the lead to 5-4 but would be unable to comeback to make the final score 5-4 in favor of Wagner.
- The Pioneers would be outhit in the game 9-7.
- Graduate student Fallon Bevino led the way for the Pioneers at the plate going 2-4 with an RBI.
- In the circle senior Kristen McCann would earn the loss going 6.1 innings allowing four earned runs and striking out eight batters. Her record now drops to 8-11 on the year.